
This seems like a very bad idea to me. It’s being reported that the US and Iran, via mediators, are working on an agreement that would end the war and give 30 more days for negotiations over Iranian nukes and the Strait of Hormuz.
Here’s the reporting:
And here’s more on this from Axios:
President Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed a new effort to reach a deal with Iran in a difficult call on Tuesday, three sources said, with one source saying Netanyahu’s “hair was on fire” after the call.A revised peace memo was drafted by Qatar and Pakistan with input from the other regional mediators to try to bridge the gaps between the U.S. and Iran, the sources said. It comes with Trump vacillating over ordering a massive strike on Iran and holding out for a deal.
Netanyahu is highly skeptical about the negotiations and wants to resume the war to further degrade Iran’s military capabilities and weaken the regime by destroying its critical infrastructure.
Trump continues to say he thinks a deal can be reached, but that he’s ready to resume the war if it isn’t.
On Tuesday evening, Trump held a lengthy and “difficult” call with Netanyahu.
Trump told Netanyahu that the mediators were working on a “letter of intent” that both the U.S. and Iran would sign to formally end the war and launch a 30-day period of negotiations on issues like Iran’s nuclear program and opening of the Strait of Hormuz, a U.S. source briefed on the call said.
Two Israeli sources said the two leaders were in disagreement about the way forward, while the U.S. source briefed on the call said “Bibi’s hair was on fire after the call.”
The source said Israel’s ambassador to Washington had informed U.S. lawmakers that Netanyahu was concerned about the call. An embassy spokesperson denied that characterization and said “the ambassador does not comment on private conversations.”
Two sources noted that Netanyahu has been highly worried at previous stages of the negotiations, even as deals failed to materialize. “Bibi is always concerned,” one source said.
Qatar and the other mediators — Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt — have been working over the last several days to refine the proposal to bridge the gaps, the three sources say.
According to two Arab officials and an Israeli source, Qatar recently presented the U.S. and Iran with a new draft. A fourth source said there is no separate Qatari draft, but that Qatar is just trying to bridge the gaps from the previous Pakistani proposal.
One Arab official said the Qataris sent a delegation to Tehran earlier this week for talks with the Iranians about the latest draft.
Iran’s foreign ministry said Wednesday that negotiations were ongoing “based on Iran’s 14-point proposal,” and that Pakistan’s interior minister was in Tehran to help the mediation. That’s the second visit by the interior minister in less than a week.
I’m honestly with Netanyahu on this one. It’s time to end this once and for all, because I can guarantee you there won’t be an agreement in 30 days. If we don’t have one by now, we aren’t going to get one. Time to stop this madness and hit the hard.
https://therightscoop.com/breaking-us-iran-working-on-30-day-negotiation-agreement/
No comments:
Post a Comment